Sunday, November 20, 2011

Loma Rica - dodging the rain

Richard Drace and I decided to head down the hill to ride the Loma Rica loop yesterday.

In the morning, the outdoor temperature was 35 so I took a lot of layers with me. When we arrived at the start parking area, the temperature was 50ish, so I put on booties, my warmest gloves, leggings and a light windbreaker over my long sleeve jersey and thermal undershirt. Then the sun broke through and I felt too warm, just standing around... Hmmm?

I decided to wear everything and peel layers if I was too hot.

We rode at conversation pace most of the time, enjoying the late fall colors and light traffic.

We stopped for a coffee and treats at the Mennonite bakery near the Bangor intersection. It was my first stop there. I might ride with saddle bags next time so I can bring home a few loaves of bread, a pie and maybe a cake.

The wind picked up a little as we headed west, toward the Sutter Buttes. It was an opportunity to burn off the treats, I guess.

I was noticing that there are a lot of rusty farm implements  parked on land near the roads... my favorite is a "steam shovel" just down the road from Bangor. It reminds me of illustrations in books when I was kid.

 There was a lot of bird activity as we passed by the fields near the mid point of the ride.

We didn't stop in at the Mexican place in Loma Rica because we both had a chore list to get back to. The wind was still pretty steady, but seemed a little cooler - maybe the weather front was moving in?

Heading out of Loma Rica, there's a home that always has an incredible holiday yard display. The family was working on setting it up as we rode by, along with two pony sized Great Dane "puppies." They were very excited to see us and bounded along next to the fence as we passed - in a friendly, tail-wagging way. The real ponies were in the next field (and much more sedate).

There's a tree lined gravel road that boarders the Bald Mountain Nursery. The fall colors were spectacular!

We finished the ride around 1:30 - Richard had 39.22 miles, I had 39.24... I always try to get in extra mileage when I have chance!

Frank


No comments:

Post a Comment